Thursday, April 21, 2005

Restraint and Freedom

Its almost mid night now! I, Mark(Netherlands), Andrea(Italy), Katya(Ukraine), Antony(Spain) were discussing from 8 PM till now about cultural differences across the world and how people were forced to adopt to the systems to which they were exposed.. Our verbal confrontations spanned a rainbow that stretched from religion to sexuality.

Mark was liberal and stressed on the need for absolute individual freedom and I would argue about the necessity of having freedom with implicit value for restrain from indulging in extremes. Andrea and Katya turned judges and would most often go by the LIBERAL EUROPEAN MARK. My position of contrained maximisation of individual freedom was strong and so the debate remained inconclusive!

'Everyone of us is entitled to exercise our right to freedom and everyone of us is obliged to exercise restraint in exercising it,where the restraint is honoring the social and culutral values of the system in which we exist!'This appears perfect to my mind but the western mind hits back and questions: 'Why should I not rebel and do whatever I wish to'?

No comments: